Monday, August 16, 2010

Master Cyclinder Rod Replacement

The following is how I replaced the master cylinder rod that attaches to the brake pedal and goes into the master cylinder. This is the kit I bought from Summit SUM-760125. However this is the part I got from them. After the installation was done I was asked for the part number I used I realized they gave me the wrong/right part. The part I got was SSB-A1726. Which is 10 dollars more. The kit comes with various was of creating the rod assembly to suit your needs. The way I put it together was as follows.

The threaded bolt threaded through large elongated nut into the eyelet. I then mounted the master cylinder to the car. I then put the rod assembly I created into the master cylinder from inside the car to see how it matched up with the opening in the brake pedal. It measured about 1/2 inch too long. So I used a dremel and cut a 1/4 inch off first and remeasured. Once I was sure another 1/4 inch needed to come off I cut again. At this point it was long enough and could be adjust in and out with the eccentric bolt. I then used the supplied nut to tighten down and lock the length of the rod in place. It came with 2 nylon washers. I could only use one because of how it fit back together. I used the eccentric washer to make sure I had a 1/4 inch of brake pedal play per the shop manual and tightened everything down.

Here is what comes in the kit:
Here is the before:


Here is the after:

No comments:

Post a Comment